Saturday, September 29, 2012

Getting Back on Track

I had a really rough period at work for a few weeks and that was enough to shake the enthusiasm out of me for doing the things I wanted to do, running and finding good coffee. Well, I've had a couple of days off and am starting to get back in the swing again. Today, I went for my first run for a couple of weeks and I took it pretty easy. I ran to the bay and back (about 6km) at a slow pace with a break when I got down there to look for dolphins but unfortunately I didn't see any. The last run also took me to the bay, and when I stopped to look for dolphins I thought I was in a luck as a group of people were pointing into the bay. To my amazement the furore was being caused by the sighting of a duck! At least I had a laugh about it on the run back.

To be honest, I had lacked motivation for running. I was tired and found myself making excuses. I think the main problem was there was no goal, and so running was the end in itself and if I couldn't be bothered to run then I wasn't going to do it. So I have set myself a goal. In about 5 weeks I am going to Mildura for a short break, and I intend to run 15km when I'm there. This will equal the longest run I've done, so the aim is to get back to the best fitness I was at in 5 weeks. I will then try to run 20km when I go back to England over Christmas. A good long run will hopefully help to burn off some of the calories that will no doubt piled on me when I see mine and Caroline's families.

Motivation is an important part of life and I have found a lethargy in my life generally. For example, I have not experimented in my reading, drinking, eating or hobby habits and feel as if I've bee in a bit of a rut. While I enjoy having things that I trust and enjoy, it is good to try different things every so often. Just like yesterday when I went to South Melbourne with Caroline to try out a new cafe. If you're walking up Coventry Street on the North side of the market, down a side street there is Chez Dre patisserie and boulangerie. This sounds a bit over the top, and it looks like nothing from the outside. So when you get inside and see the converted warehouse with loads of space, a beautiful open kitchen layout and a great serving display with the most mouth watering looking cakes, you just can't believe your luck. I had a long black (sweet and strong) and a half baguette that took me back to when I was in France. I also had an almond croissant which was among the best I've ever had (and I've had a few!).

 Caroline's Cappuccino
 Open kitchen layout
Patisserie display at Chez Dre

No comments:

Post a Comment