Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cottle on Coventry

It was a fairly lazy Sunday for me today. At a loss of what to do on a fairly nice early spring day, I decided that I wanted to restart my running program that has been on hold for a few weeks, and I would take a trip to South Melbourne Market. In South Melbourne coffee drinkers are well catered for. One of Melbourne's top rated cafe, St Ali's, sits on a back street behind the main Clarendon Street. St Ali's truly has magnificent coffee, but the last time I was there it was really busy, the price of fame I guess.

So instead of heading to St Ali, I tried somewhere I'd never been to before. Walking along Coventry Street on the way to the market I noticed Cottle on Coventry, and gave it a go. Funnily enough, I wan't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.


I had a long black which was as good as any I've had in Melbourne, smooth yet strong and with a soft sweetness. What I liked best was the serving of the coffee, in short black form with hot water on the side so the drink can be made as long as the drinker wants. Cottle is more than just a cafe. It is a roastery, and has specialty teas and coffees for sale as well as coffee makers of all types. Today there was also free 'home barista' courses between 11am and 2pm. I have now found a new regular haunt for my trips to South Melbourne!

No comments:

Post a Comment