Sunday, September 2, 2012

First Day of Spring

Well, actually it's the second day of Spring and only if you consider Spring is a monthly based season and not one that starts on the equinox. My God, I'm sounding like an old hippy! And what better thing for an old hippy to do on one of the first 20C days of the season than go to Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens and look at the trees and flowers!

Caroline and I love walking around the Botanical Gardens. It is a total sensory experience. As well as seeing the amazing shapes and colours of the plants, there are the great smells (eucalypt gardens smelled great today, and touching herbs like fragrant sage, and mint bring beautiful scents to life), loads of different textures ranging from wispy soft ferns, rubbery succulents, sharp grasses and sticky pollen, and the sounds of birds above and around you, especially the unmistakable and haunting bell birds. I didn't taste anything, though I'm sure there was plenty edible throughout the gardens.

I guess everyone has favourite parts of the gardens. Personally, I like variegated leaves, and plants with interesting colour combinations, not necessarily pretty but for me interesting. We had a great day walking around in the sunshine and I can't wait for Caroline to post some photos.

Beautiful variegated leaves 

Beautiful colour contrasts 

Blue skies and Eureka Tower in the background 

 Magnificent!

The lakes were spectacular in the sunshine 

Furry textured Lamb's Ears :D

No comments:

Post a Comment